Healthcare Support Worker - Theatres
- Band 2/3
- Full time / part time considered
- Southmead Hospital
- £17,787 - £20,448. per annum pro rata
- 23/10/2020 23:59
Please note that if you apply for a position with this Trust, you may be contacted via Trac or via email. This includes invites for job interviews. We therefore recommend that you regularly check your Trac Account and email accounts.
Please note that this job advert will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. So if you are interested, please apply for this vacancy as soon as you can.
There is a new B2-B3 apprenticeship opportunity available for a Heath Care Support Workers who would like to work in the Operating Theatres at North Bristol NHS Trust.
Working in the operating theatres is a challenging and rewarding role where the Health Care Support Worker (HCSW) is an essential part of the multidisciplinary team. HCSWs in the operating theatres support other members of the team, such as scrub practitioners, operating department practitioners (ODP), surgeons and anaesthetists. You will be working in state-of-the-art operating theatres and will participate in providing a range of pioneering surgery. Although you will be working in a technical environment, good patient care is of utmost importance and you will be directly involved in the care of the patient whilst they are undergoing their operation. Your tasks will include:
- Communicating with the whole theatre team including participating in team safety briefs
- Ensuring good infection control procedures are being followed
- Preparing the theatre before procedures, cleaning the theatres between procedures and at the end of the day
- Understanding the equipment that is being used and being able to position and check it correctly
- Collecting and instruments checking disposable items with a registered practitioner that will be used during surgery
- Assisting the scrub practitioner to prepare the instruments ready for surgery including taking part in essential safety checks
- Helping with the safe collection of clinical specimens
- Assisting with patient documentation
- Participating in all aspects of the patient’s care such as correctly positioning them for surgery, maintaining their privacy and dignity, keeping them warm and safe during surgery
- Sitting and talking with patients who are undergoing procedures under local anaesthetic as a way of supporting and reassuring them
- Helping ensure that patient safety is at the heart of all we do in theatres
We are looking to recruit HCSW who have a passion for working in the health care sector and who are able to demonstrate enthusiasm for learning and development and safe patient care. You will be a high performing individual who is flexible and driven by the exciting challenges that lie ahead while demonstrating that you can live the Trusts values. We are looking to recruit to full and part time roles (minimum 30.5 hours per week) on a substantive basis. You will need to be flexible to accommodate the various shift times and patterns within the Operating Theatres including a full range of long days, nights, weekends and bank holidays.
Training is provided by North Bristol NHS Trust Vocational Education Centre and will consist of both on the job and classroom based learning. Apprentices who require Functional Skills qualifications will undertake these as part of your apprenticeship pathway. Apprentices will be given one study day per month and will be allocated a dedicated assessor from the Centre, along with support from your workplace. Additional study days will be required for clinical skills.
If you do not currently have a healthcare qualification you will start your development pathway as a Band 2 and will undertake a Level 2 apprenticeship in Health & Social Care which will take you one year. On completion of the Level 2 apprenticeship you will then go on to undertake the Level 3 Diploma in Clinical Healthcare Support which will take 18 months to complete.
Applications are also welcomed from Healthcare Support Workers who are currently hold Level 2 or Level 3 Healthcare qualifications.
If you would like to discuss, or for support with applications, please come along to the Education Office on L3 and talk to one of the Perioperative Development Team.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
Perioperative Education Manager