- Band 2
- Fixed term: 12 months
- 37.5 hours per week (Full time - 37.5 hours per week)
- North Bristol NHS Trust
- £20,270 - £21,318 pro-rata, annex 21 rules apply
- Today at 23:59
Please note that if you apply for a position with this Trust, you may be contacted via Trac or via email. This includes invites for job interviews. We therefore recommend that you regularly check your Trac Account and email accounts.
Please note that this job advert will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. So if you are interested, please apply for this vacancy as soon as you can.
Looking for a new challenge? Considering a role in Healthcare?
If you are inspired at the thought of delivering integral support within a team passionate about providing the best care for patients and their families, this may be the role for you!
North Bristol NHS Trust are looking for enthusiastic individuals to join #OneNBT as Housekeepers, playing a key role within our clinical teams. We have opportunities in a variety of specialties within the following divisions:
- Anaesthesia, Surgery, Critical Care and Renal
- Neurosciences and MusculoSkeletal
- Women and Children’s
- Core Clinical
Working within our Trust, you will receive excellent benefits, including access to:
- Competitive NHS Pension Scheme
- Local/UK NHS Discount schemes
- Training and development opportunities through annual appraisal-reviews
- Comprehensive Health and Wellbeing support from our award-winning team
Our service runs Monday to Sunday, including bank holidays. We have opportunities available for both full time and part time roles.
We would encourage applications from people who may wish to work on a flexible basis, recognizing that flexibility may mean a range of different working patterns and hours. Please do talk to us about the flexibility you would like us to consider as we do our utmost to work with our staff to meet their needs and the needs of our patients.
We are looking for 1 FULL TIME FIXED TERM FOR 12 MONTHS (Secondments will be considered as well)
Main duties of the job
At North Bristol NHS Trust, we are committed to treating each patient as an individual with respect and dignity, aiming to deliver excellent clinical outcomes and a first-class experience for everyone who uses our services.
Our Housekeepers are key members of our ward team. Working under the direction of the Senior Nurse or Ward Manager, you will work closely with domestic services, catering and linen services staff as well as nursing staff and clinical support staff.
In this vital role, you will lead ward services such as catering, cleaning, equipment and supplies. The work can include:
- Talking to and reassuring patients
- Ordering non-clinical supplies
- Keeping the ward clean and tidy
- Serving and clearing away meals
- Preparing snacks and drinks
- Reporting faults
- Clerical and admin tasks
- Ordering patient transport
- Receiving visitors
- Stocking up supplies
To be successful in this role, you must be able to work independently as well as part of a team ensuring a clean, safe environment is maintained for patient safety. You will also have:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Numeracy and literacy level 2 or equivalent
- IT skills, including Basic Word, E-mail and keyboard skills
- Caring and compassionate attributes
- An ability to prioritize work and effective time management skills
- A desire to undertake any additional training as required for the post
Working for our organisation
North Bristol NHS Trust employs over 12,000 staff providing healthcare to the residents of Bristol, South Gloucestershire and North Somerset from our award-winning hospital building at Southmead. We are the regional Major Trauma Centre, and an internationally recognised centre of excellence in a range of services and major specialities. Our vision is that by enabling our teams to be the best that they can be, we will provide exceptional healthcare, personally delivered.
We commit to treating each patient as an individual with respect and dignity, aiming to deliver excellent clinical outcomes and a first-class experience for everyone who uses our services.
North Bristol NHS Trust values all people as individuals. We aim to be an anti-discriminatory organization and are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We welcome applicants from all underrepresented groups.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please refer to the attached job description for full details of the main duties and responsibilities that the post holder is required to undertake.
- To assist the Senior Sister in maintaining cleaning standards on the ward.
- To carry out spot cleaning and ensure spillages are dealt with swiftly and efficiently.
- To carry out cleaning of general and specialist equipment, e.g. drip stands, incubators, commodes, toilets, bed pans and raised toilet seats as per cleaning policy.
- To assist in keeping the ward safe and tidy at all times, e.g. remove clutter, room cleans.
- To maintain upkeep of patients’ bed areas.
- To assist in specialist cleaning of surfaces and furnishings.
- To carry out cleaning in isolation nursing areas.
- To assist in maintaining a log of medical equipment and cleaning monitors.
- To encourage and assist patients to order food, where necessary taking into account special needs and medical requirements as directed by ward staff.
- To ensure people have any assistance they require to eat and drink and to monitor food intake in conjunction with the ward nurse.
- To prepare and serve hot/cold snacks (e.g. breakfast) as requested – offering a 24 hour snack service.
- To serve meals in conjunction with the nursing team, ensuring patients’ intake is known and that their dietary needs are met.
- To provide eating assistance, e.g. cutting up food, placing food within reach/ feed patients and providing friendly encouragement to patients with regards to eating.
- To prepare hot/cold beverages including appropriate trolley/equipment regularly at scheduled times.
- To ensure all regenerated meals and beverages are served at the correct temperature according to food hygiene regulations and Trust operational policy.
- To prepare areas where food and beverages are served/consumed to ensure a pleasant environment for patients.
- To wash all equipment/utensils used in preparation, regeneration, serving and consuming food and beverages at breakfast and on beverage rounds.
- To check that the ward kitchen is clean and tidy at all times, e.g. discarding out-of-date food and stock rotation beyond the daily clean by the patient support team (PST).
- To ensure refrigerated food is labelled and stored correctly in accordance with Trust operational policy.
- To ensure in conjunction with the ward nurse that discharged and newly admitted patients’ meal requirements are actioned.
- To co-ordinate extra meal requirements that may arise.
- To ensure that patients whose fluid intake is not medically restricted have access to fresh water.
Maintaining the Environment
- To assist in the monitoring and audit of service delivery, especially related to cleaning, food, linen and the environment, at the agreed frequency, and to inform the ward sister of the outcomes.
- To assist in completing the ward’s defect call log book, ensuring all defects are logged, reported, recorded and closed down as appropriate.
- To assist in co-ordinating other ad hoc maintenance, liaising with the support service helpdesk as required for other services.
- To assist the Senior Sister in carrying out regular equipment monitoring as necessary in accordance with procedures.
- To transport and dispose of clinical, domestic and confidential waste as per the policy, e.g. taking waste to the ward disposal area in conjunction with the PST.
- To clean and prepare beds and handle linen.
- To participate with ward staff in monitoring the access and security and use of premises and facilities.
- To ensure that patients’ space is respected including attending to patients’ perishable items e.g. fruit.
- To respect the privacy and dignity of patients whilst carrying out housekeeping duties.
- To assist patients in maintaining the safety of their own property and belongings.
- To liaise with the Senior Sister concerns relating to the potential for adverse behaviour and security breaches.
- To use communication skills to help manage and prevent any aggressive and abusive behaviour, and escalate this to a senior member of staff as necessary.
- To ensure the safe storage of equipment.
- To ensure equipment is in good working order. Ensure equipment repairs are carried out in line with trust policy.
- To receive, welcome and guide visitors on arrival to the ward, liaising with other staff as appropriate.
- To receive deliveries at scheduled times from automated guided vehicles (AGVs).
- To transport or collect equipment, consumables and written information as required.
- To assist in maintaining and updating paper-based records and information as required.
- To respond to requests for general information.
- To receive and pass on information to others, maintaining confidentiality.
- To understand the Trust’s Complaints Procedure and act in accordance with this procedure.
- To assist with training of staff involved with ward housekeeping services explaining the required standards.
- To be aware of any new food hygiene standards, changes to waste categorization, etc.
This advert may close early, if we have received a sufficient amount of applications. Therefore you are highly advised to apply as soon as possible if you are interested in this position.
- Numeracy and Literacy Level 2 or equivalent
- Basic IT skills
- Willing to undertake Food hygiene training & qualifications
- Good communication skills & customer service skills
- Team working skills & able to use own initiative
- Organisation skills
- Experience working within a health or social care setting
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Mary Ilagan
- Job title
- Senior Sister
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 0117 414 8970