Healthcare Support Worker - Theatres
- Medirooms - Post and Pre op Care
- Band 3
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- 339-HCA - Medirooms- Band3
- Southmead Hospital
- £18,546 - £21,777 Apprenticeship Pay will be 75% of Top of Band
- 29/09/2021 23:59
Please note that if you apply for a position with this Trust, you may be contacted via Trac or via email. This includes invites for job interviews. We therefore recommend that you regularly check your Trac Account and email accounts.
Please note that this job advert will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. So if you are interested, please apply for this vacancy as soon as you can.
Health Care Support Worker (Band 3) Medirooms
Are you looking to become a Health Care Support Worker in one of the UK’s largest NHS Hospital Trusts?
Do you want to work in the state of the art Medirooms providing pre and post-operative care for patients undergoing surgery?
Are you looking for on the job training alongside a full apprenticeship leading to a Level 3 Qualification?
‘Medirooms’ is a 21st Century concept in healthcare, combining the traditional recovery, day-case, same-day admission areas into a single patient room environment. North Bristol is the only NHS organization to offer this new and innovative approach. Medirooms are designed to enhance the patients’ experience through improving the level of privacy and dignity. We have 72 Medirooms located across two floors, (Level 2 Gate 20 and Level 3 Gate 21) and staffed by a range of multidisciplinary professionals, with patient care predominantly being given by Nurses, Operating Department Practitioners, Assistant Practitioners, Nurse Associates and Health Care Support Workers
We also have Medirooms Short Stay (MSS) patients who are pre-booked for an elective one night stay post-surgery and will be following a criteria-led discharge pathway. As Medirooms are multi-functional rooms, it can also be utilized as an additional inpatient capacity.
Working in the medirooms is a challenging and rewarding role where the Health Care Support Worker is an essential part of the multidisciplinary team. Health Care Support Workers in the Medirooms provide direct care for patients when they come into hospital for their surgery and will also provide support to their families who have accompanied them.
Health Care Support Workers work in all areas of the Medirooms including; admissions, recovery and discharge. Many of the patients will be anxious and or very ill and the HSW will play an important part in reassuring them and keeping them as safe and comfortable as possible.
The Role Will Include:
- Communicating with the whole mediroom team including participating in team safety briefs
- Preparing the medirooms at the start of the day, cleaning between patients and cleaning at the end of the day
- Understanding the equipment that is being used and being able to position and check it correctly and safely
- Collecting patients (and possibly relatives) who have been checked in at the theatre and medirooms reception and escorting them to their mediroom
- Assisting the patients to change into an operating gown in readiness for their surgical procedure
- Assisting with the patient’s admission procedure, for example asking questions regarding their health and checking vital signs such as their blood pressure, pulse and temperature
- Supporting the Mediroom Practitioners to care for patients as they are recovering from their surgery including checking their vital signs and ensuring their comfort
- Assisting patients to get ready for their discharge including helping them change into their own clothes and having something to eat and drink
- Helping to complete discharge paperwork and explaining to patients how they need to care from themselves following surgery
- Talking with patients and their relatives and providing information and reassurance
- Helping ensure that patient safety is at the heart of all we do in medirooms
North Bristol NHS Trust is committed to offering excellent career development through our tailored education pathways. If you are interested in a career as a healthcare support worker, we can offer you a training contract dependent on your educational requirements, which will be assessed during your induction with the Trust.
If you already hold a Level 3 qualification you may be required to complete some Mediroom specific training and a personalised pathway will be developed for you.
If you already hold a Level 2 qualification and are ready to undertake the Level 3 apprenticeship this will typically take 18 months, depending on your working pattern and level of study.
The apprenticeship will consist of 4 elements:
- Initial Assessment
- Functional Skills (Maths and English) – if required
- Job specific training (both in the workplace and in the classroom)
- End Point Assessment
At the end of this education pathway, you will achieve a level 3 Apprenticeship - Senior Healthcare Support Worker. Apprentices will progress to the fully qualified salary upon completion of their education pathway.
Please note, if you are currently in a Band 2 position, you will remain on your current Band 2 salary until you have completed the relevant training to the role.
We are one of the UK's largest NHS Trusts and we are committed to developing our staff, ensuring they become successful, competent and confident members of the organisation.
You: The successful Health Care Support Worker will have:
- Some experience of working in an acute health care environment
- A desire to learn and undertake relevant personal development, including the Level 3 qualification
- IT skills, including Word & Email
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience of working in a team and an ability to establish good relationships with colleagues, patients and visitors
For further information please contact our Mediroom Clinical Coordinators:
Ellie French email@example.com
Honeylyn Sarao firstname.lastname@example.org
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.