Senior Clinical Scientist / Lead BMS Band 8A
NHS AfC: Band 8a
- Infection Sciences / Blood Sciences
- NHS AfC: Band 8a
- Full time: 37.5 hours per week
- £45,753 - £51,668 per annum
- 10/02/2021 23:59
Please note that if you apply for a position with this Trust, you may be contacted via Trac or via email. This includes invites for job interviews. We therefore recommend that you regularly check your Trac Account and email accounts.
Please note that this job advert will close as soon as sufficient applications have been received. So if you are interested, please apply for this vacancy as soon as you can.
Deputy Laboratory Manager – Senior Clinical Scientist / Lead Biomedical Scientist
We are currently recruiting for an enthusiastic Senior Clinical Scientist or Lead Biomedical Scientist to help manage our fast paced and dynamic Antimicrobial Reference Laboratory (ARL). The Deputy Laboratory Manager will work closely with the ARL Operations Manager to lead the antimicrobial Therapeutic Drug Monitoring (TDM) Service, which serves patients locally, nationally and internationally. You will be expected to provide expert clinical knowledge and experience as well as extensive analytical scientific and technical experience in antimicrobial TDM. They will be responsible for ensuring and improving the performance, quality, efficiency and safety of laboratory operations through the provision of effective methods and strategies.
The post holder is expected to act independently under the broad direction of the Antimicrobial Reference Laboratory Operations Manager and is accountable for his / her own actions and those of others, working in a matrix management structure, but clinically accountable to the Head of Department. The role will include the requirement to oversee and provide leadership to the ARL within the Infection Sciences Portfolio and to deputise for the Antimicrobial Reference Operations Manager as required.
As a vital member of our team, you will be the fundamental principle of making a positive difference to our healthcare service and in return you will receive regular training and coaching to develop your skills and to support you in your working life. Ideally, we seek established scientific candidates at this level who have some previous experience as managing a laboratory or laboratory section. The candidate should also possess high degree of accuracy and numeracy skills, excellent problem-solving skills with great leadership qualities. Applications will be sought from self-efficient, self-motivated candidates who have achieved the following essential skills:
- BSc in an appropriate science
- Post graduate qualification
- HCPC State Registration as a Clinical Scientist / Biomedical Scientist, with evidence of Continued Professional Development
- Expertise & knowledge of analytical aspects of antimicrobial TDM
- Experience in managing and leading a section/service of diagnostic laboratory
- Experience or preparing and authorising clinical laboratory reports
- Experience of training others
- Extensive knowledge of principles of drug assay (in area of expertise)
- Up-to-date knowledge of antimicrobial therapeutic drug monitoring
- Highly developed skills in interpretation and reporting of complex results
- Excellent organisational and planning skills
- Completion of relevant management courses e.g. appraisal, recruitment and selection etc
- Broad knowledge of the management of infection
- Up-to-date awareness of national policies and initiatives affecting antimicrobial TDM
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Alan Noel
- Job title
- Principal Clinical Scientist
- Email address
- Telephone number